text by Lauriane Janssen
Bakoumba: a Marfan Children Book
A while ago, I was contacted by the French Association, asking if European Marfan associations would be interested in translating the Marfan Children’s book “Bakoumba” to European languages.
The book is about a Marfan child that slowly realizes that he is very useful for many things, so he starts to feel better about himself. It is a story about being “different” aimed at children around 10 years. More info on the french website.
Many countries have shown interests in the concept and several questions were raised, so here is more information:
- The French Association is paying for the copyright costs for all languages for the use of the book in Europe.
- The VASCERN decided to pay for the translation into languages of VASCERN-HTAD workgroup languages (eg. Dutch, English, German, Swedish, …) but NOT FOR THE OTHER LANGUAGES (eg. Danish and Finnish)
- For the languages that are being translated by VASCERN it would of course be possible to see the translation before ordering the book!
- Prices are :
– for 200 books : 880 eur + taxes + shipping (= minimum amount per language)
– for 500 books : 1580 eur + taxes + shipping
– for 1000 books : 2115 eur + taxes + shipping
– for 2000 books : 2650 eur + taxes + shipping
for each supplementary 1000 books : + 390 eur + taxes
- The French association emphasize the fact that the book will still be good in 5 years and probably much longer, so you will not end up with unusable books.
If you have never seen the french Bakoumba book, the French Association agreed to send one sample per country in paper format. If you are interested please send me your postal adress to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any other questions or if you are interested and have not yet said so, don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.